Artist Statement
Characters are the most important part of my stories. How they dress, what they think, and the actions they take make up the narrative. No small details will be forgotten. My characters will have their own quirks, passions and flair. They know what they want, or maybe they don’t at all. They should also be relatable to as many people as possible. Even if I’m telling a specific story, it should have worldwide resonance. I haven’t had nearly the same life experience as Chiron from Moonlight has. But, I connected with him on a deep personal level and that film moved me like few others have. I also completely saw myself in Lady Bird. I’m not catholic or live in Sacramento, but I saw myself in her and it made me feel seen. I want someone who has never really seen themselves on screen to look at one of my characters and say, “wow, that’s me.” That’s where the real impact occurs.
I love films that have a clear energy. The combination of editing, music, dialogue, and everything else make them dynamic and powerful. They keep you sucked in, wanting more and more and more. You can’t keep your eyes off the screen when Scott Pilgrim vs. the World or Jojo Rabbit is on. On the other hand, I also love the quieter films. The ones that may be slower, but still pack an emotional punch, like Princess Cyd or Portrait of a Lady on Fire. Again, it’s all about the characters and the story. No matter the pace or the look, what it means to people is what matters most.
Comments
Post a Comment